3055 River Road • Bedminster, New Jersey (908) 396-6053
Copyright © 2018 Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House.
The oldest part of the Jacobus Vanderveer House was built in the early 1770s. It is typical of the Dutch frame houses that dotted the countryside before the American Revolution. Much of the original fabric of the house remains intact. A wall in the west parlor features raised wood paneling above the fireplace with a barrel-back cabinet to the side. The house retains the original wide pine board flooring.
The house gained a Federal style addition in the early 1800s. Later 19th and 20th century alterations imposed "bungaloid" features such as exterior stucco, a north porch and roof dormers. These modern elements were removed when the restoration returned the exterior of the house to its circa 1813 appearance. The interior of the house contains both the west Georgian section when Knox is believed to have in residence and the more spacious east Federal addition with its higher ceiling.
The Township of Bedminster purchased the home and the surrounding area as part of River Road Park in 1989. The home has been restored and is operated by The Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House, a nonprofit organization formed to restore and develop the historic site as an important educational and cultural resource.
MORE ABOUT THE VANDERVEER HOUSE & MUSEUM
Photograph from Walter Frederick,
The Township of Bedminster, 1964.
Photograph from the Somerset County Historical Society Quarterly, 1918.
1874 - 1909
Owned by the Schley family. Used also as part of the local Polo and Hunt Clubs.
1917 - 1989
|2017 Annual Report|
|JVH 2018 Events Flyer|
|Hours and Directions|
|Hike and Bike Paths|
|School Field Trips & Camps|
|Vanderveer House & Museum|
|Pluckemin Artillery Cantonment|
|The Vanderveer Family|
|Gen. Henry Knox|
|Colonial Christmas 2017 Photos|
|Guide to 2017 Colonial Christmas|
|JVH 2018 Events Brochure|
|Register for Events & Tours|
|Become a Member|