to the Jacobus Vanderveer House and Museum, site of America’s first military training
academy, the Pluckemin Cantonment. The Vanderveer house served as headquarters for
Gen. Henry Knox during the winter of 1778-79. A National and New Jersey historic
site, the Vanderveer house interprets Dutch colonial life in America as well as the
stay by Gen. Henry Knox and his family.
During the winter of 1778-79, the Continental Army artillery was located in the village
of Pluckemin. The house is the only known building still standing that was associated
with the Pluckemin Artillery Cantonment, believed to be the first installation in
America to train officers in engineering and artillery.